Wednesday, July 26, 2023

New Every Morning

I'm going to change directions for a few days and focus on something else that is important to me. Living a healthy lifestyle. I posted three articles on my Facebook page and now I want to publish them here. I didn't publish this article on Facebook, although I did write it shortly after I posted the first article on Monday, July 24th.

New Every Morning

I open the freezer door and then close it. I take the lid off the container of cookies on the counter and take a sniff. Frosted Sugar Cookies. They smell as good as they taste. Somehow, I walk away without eating one or two or...who am I kidding...a dozen. I sit at the computer to work on a devotion. The kitchen still beckons like the sirens calling out to Odysseus. I scold myself, “Stay out of the kitchen, you idiot.”

I try to fight the urge; however, by 9:00 a.m. the battle is lost. I’ve eaten three cookies, a bowl of ice cream (smothered in chocolate syrup), and I’m eyeing the potato chip bag. It would help if I didn’t have any junk food in the house but the rest of the family has a better relationship with food than I do. Why punish them for my lack of self-control?

To be honest, that’s the sort of day I had yesterday. It sucked. (Yep. Strong word although I can’t think of a better word to describe what happened.) After a binge-fest, I felt lousy. My joints hurt. My stomach hurt. The fifteen extra pounds I’ve packed on over the past three months caused my knees to hurt. I was irritable and grouchy. I felt like a failure.

I’m allowing myself to be vulnerable. I pray my honesty will encourage others who struggle to break free from the bondages in their lives. You are not alone in your struggle. I’m right there with you.

Two and a half years ago, I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I was also diagnosed with Osteoporosis.  Instead of taking meds, I decided to make a lifestyle change by eating healthy and exercising several times a week. By the grace of God, I accomplished what I set out to do. To God be the glory.

I’m not sure why I’ve struggled over the past three months. I’m not sure why I’ve given into all the unhealthy cravings. I’m not sure how I ended up in this pitiful condition. Maybe the “why” doesn’t matter.

I’ve prayed and prayed and prayed and I’ve begged and begged and begged. Nothing happened. I didn’t change nor did my situation. Why can’t God close the freezer door for me? Why can’t He slam the cabinet door shut? Truth be told, God’s been quiet about the whole thing. Until today.

What makes today different? I don’t know. The important thing is in my spirit I heard God speak to me. He told me, “I’ve given you a new day full of my mercy, love, and forgiveness. What are you going to do with it?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know, Lord. What should I do with it?”

He responded, “I’m glad you finally asked.” I swear I heard a chuckle in His voice. “Since you asked, I’ll tell you what you can do with it. Meditate on my Word.”

“I do, Lord. Daily.”

“No. I’m not talking about you reading the Logos Word, the written Word. I want you to get a hold of my Rhema Word…my powerful and active Word which can be applied to your life right now. Think on these things.”

Then it dawned on me. I prayed and pleaded for deliverance but not once did I attempt to apply the Bible to my situation. I know God’s Word and yet, somehow, I failed to use it in this current battle.

The Lord led me to two scriptures. I’ve written them out on sheets of paper and taped them on my desk.

Through the LORD’S mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I hope in Him!” Lamentations 3:22-24 (NKJ)

I’m grateful the Lord’s mercies are new every morning. I’m thankful today is a new day to walk in His purposes and plans for my life. I’m a realist – the day’s not over – I may blow it. The good news is it’s 4:00 p.m. and His Word is giving me strength. I’ve been able to withstand the temptations trying to lure me into the kitchen.

Even if I blow it later tonight, tomorrow is still coming. His faithful love won’t wane and His mercies will be available to me once again.

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 (NKJ)

The Lord knows the thoughts and intents of my heart. I believe He supports my desire to live a healthy lifestyle. I don’t feel like He’s done with me yet and my desire is to serve Him into my eighties. (I'm seventy-two and still active in service to Him.) It couldn’t hurt to have my health. As I begin to meditate on the truth of His Rhema Word as it applies to my specific situation, I believe His Word will empower me to do what I can’t do for myself.

I don’t expect to do this thing perfectly any time soon. I do know I’ve been given a powerful weapon to wield as I fight this battle. There’s something liberating about dwelling on the truth of His word…it does set a person free.

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31-32 (NKJ)

No comments:

Post a Comment