Friday, January 4, 2019

A Man Is Only as Good as His Word


A Man is Only as Good as His Word
The “Red-Letter” Words of Jesus
Day One

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.   Hebrews 4:12 (NKJV)


I invite you to join me in studying Jesus’ words. More precisely, His “red-letter words” recorded in the book of John (using the New King James Version). Words that not only impacted people during Jesus’ time on earth, but words that are alive, active, and powerful today.

You've heard the cliche, "A man is only as good as his word." If a man can't honor his word, then his reputation is of no value.

The disease of alcoholism plagued my father a good portion of his life. Thankfully, a couple years before he died, he committed his life to Christ. Even though his life was marred by alcohol, he had one strong character trait which defined him. He meant what he said. Numerous times I heard him say, “A man is only as good as his word.” I don’t ever recall a time, apart from his promise to quit drinking, where he didn’t honor his word. If he said it, then it was so.

Perhaps my father is a poor comparison to the Son of God, although he did place great value in what he said. As we look at Jesus’ words, we can be assured He meant what He said and He said what He meant. Every time. He never wavered. He never second-guessed Himself. He impacted society and changed lives by the truth in what He spoke.

Even now, His living and powerful words define His character and transform lives. Jesus’ words are more impactful than any other words I’ve ever read or heard spoken. His words cut to the core of who I am and expose my motives and thoughts. That isn’t all bad especially when it leads me to repentance.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting."  Psalm 139:23-24 (NKJV)

Dear Father, thank You that Your Son’s words are true, alive, and powerful today. They carry as much authority now as when they were first spoken. We can trust them to be true because You cannot lie. Thank you for the Word who is Jesus. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

In the next devotion, before we study the "red-letter" words of Jesus, we'll take a close look at The Word, Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment