Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Illumination

I AM WHO I AM #6
I AM the Light of the World
John 8:1-12

Jesus made the statement, "I AM the light of the world" twice in one day. For the next couple of devotionals we'll take a look at the events which led Jesus to make those statements.

After spending the night in prayer, Jesus went to the temple early one Sabbath morning where He began to teach the crowds who sought Him out. The scribes and Pharisees were there in full force trying to trap Him with His words so they would be able to discredit His reputation. On that morning, while He taught, they brought in a woman who was caught in the act of adultery. They addressed the fact that, according to the Law, she should be stoned. After writing something in the sand of which we can only speculate what it was, Jesus spoke to those accusing her, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first." One by one her accusers left until none remained.

Jesus told the woman He didn't condemn her but He also told her, "Go and sin no more." At this point, He spoke to the crowd saying, "I AM the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."

Two things happened that morning. First, He shone His truth into the hearts of this woman's accusers and exposed their own darkness. Second, He illuminated His love for the woman, freeing her from the bondage of sin and shame.

Jesus, one thing is for sure...when You shine Your light into our lives, it impacts us greatly. Your light will either expose our sin or illuminate Your love. Sometimes it does both. When You expose our sin it's because You love us and know that "if we confess our sins, You are faithful and just to forgive us our sins" (1John 1:9) thus drawing us into closer relationship to You.


Personal Application
I've had both happen to me. When Jesus uses His light to expose my sin my first inclination is usually to run and hide. (Yeah, just like Adam and Eve.) And yet, if I allow Him to illuminate His love, I see that conviction is a good thing. Years ago, a youth pastor at the church we were attending used to say, "Conviction is my friend." It is if I allow it to lead to repentance. Jesus wants an intimate relationship with me and He wants to free me from those things which cause a barrier between us. Instead of running away from Him, He desires that I run to Him.  "Search me O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."  (Psalm 139: 23 24 NKJ)


No comments:

Post a Comment