Friday, July 28, 2023

Appreciate What I Do Have

Appreciate What I Do Have

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy – meditate on these things. Philippians 4:8 (NKJ)

I can’t eat gluten. It makes me sick…hospital visits kind of sick. Gluten includes wheat, barley (malt), rye, and oats. That covers a substantial percentage of the available foods you find at the grocery store. Since I’m trying to eat healthy by eating less carbs and sugar, my list of allowable foods shrinks even more. It’s easy to have a pity-party. Poor me.

Instead of focusing on what I can’t have, I need to appreciate what I do have. I can eat fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, and milk products. On Sundays, I allow myself to eat whatever my palate desires, within reason of course (still no gluten but that’s okay). Due to folks educating the food industry about celiac disease, there are now numerous gluten-free alternatives.

I'm also thankful for my health. And my family. And my friends. And my church. And my writer friends (who totally get me). I have Jesus and His unconditional Love. I have His Word.

There’s no reason for me to feel sorry for myself or feel like I’m missing out on all the good stuff. As I count my blessings, the Lord fills me with gratitude and I’m able to appreciate His goodness, grace, and mercy in my life. God is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment