Friday, November 30, 2018

My Grandma's Quilts

This is the day that the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24 (KJV)

"Not another quilt," I moaned. I held it up looking at the colorful blocks of little Dutch boys and girls. "Why can't grandma understand kids don't think quilts are cool?"

And yet, every year that's what my grandmother gave her family for Christmas. That particular year I had hinted for a bike but I wasn't surprised when the annual package made its way from Illinois to southern California. Unfortunately, I didn't appreciate the value of what she gave me. Not only did a lot of time, effort and love go into each one of those well-crafted quilts, they had monetary value too. Each quilt sold for eighty dollars. Fifty-seven years ago that was a lot of money. As a child, I simply took those beautiful quilts for granted.

God's blessings are gifts I hope I don't take for granted. I can joyfully unwrap the gift of each day,  appreciating the value of what I've been given. I can recognize the value of His love...a love so great that He gave His one and only Son that I might have eternal life (John 3:16). I can understand the value of His mercies that are new every morning even when I don't deserve them (Lamentations 3:22, 23). I can see the priceless value of Him as my Savior, my Lord, my Provider and my Healer. Great is His faithfulness.


Prayer:  Dear Lord, may I always appreciate Your blessings in my life.

Bible Reading:  Ephesians 3:14-21

Thought:  May I find the goodness of the Lord in this day which He has given me.


No comments:

Post a Comment