Tuesday, December 12, 2017

More Intimately Acquainted

I AM WHO I AM #2
Becoming More Intimately Acquainted
Exodus 2:23-3:15


Previously we looked at Moses and his encounter with I AM WHO I AM. We're going to take a couple devotionals to look at the character and attributes of I AM WHO I AM. Why even go there? Let's face it, doing it just for knowledge's sake isn't a good enough reason because knowledge itself can puff up (I Cor. 8:1). Knowledge isn't our goal here...becoming more intimately acquainted with God is.

In the last devotional, the comment was made that Moses had to choose to trust God. Trusting God is a choice. As we look at the character and attributes of I AM WHO I AM, we will stand in awe of who He truly is, which will help us become more intimately acquainted with Him. The more intimately acquainted we become with I AM WHO I AM the easier it will be to choose to trust Him. Got it? Sounds like we went in circles but I hope you get the point.

In the beginning of his relationship with God, Moses struggled and had doubts. He even questioned whether or not God had chosen the right man for the job. By the end of his life, he didn't just know about God, he personally knew I AM WHO I AM. We can too.

Let's agree with the prayer Paul prayed on behalf of the church at Ephesus. I pray "that the God our our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe according to the working of His mighty power." (Ephesians 1:17-19)

Lord, we want to know You more. We want to know Your character and Your attributes. As we draw closer to you, it will be easier for us to trust You as You guide us in all that You've called us to do. Trusting You is a choice. But the more intimately acquainted we become with You, the easier it will be to trust in You. In Jesus name, Amen.


Personal Application

When Mike and I first started dating we would spend hours talking together. Why? Because we liked each other, liked hanging together and wanted to know everything there was to know about each other. Even then, once we were married it didn't take us long to realize we had just scratched the surface of truly knowing each other. In the early days of our marriage I struggled with trusting Mike. I never met my dad face-to-face and my stepdad left our family a couple different times. I figured it was just a matter of time and Mike would split too. After forty-one years of being together, I have no doubt my husband is in this marriage for keeps. I know his heart and know he loves me unconditionally.

In the same way, the more I become intimately acquainted with I AM WHO I AM and know His character the more I trust Him. The eyes of my understanding have been enlightened because I am in right relationship with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I love Him and like hanging with Him...I truly want to know Him and trust Him deeper. It's a choice I make on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment