Wednesday, August 31, 2022

My Choice - Light or Darkness

 

My Choice – Light or Darkness

The “Red-Letter Words” of Jesus

Day 35


For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he Who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”  John 3:17-21 (NKJV)

During my junior high years (now middle school), I was insecure which probably made me a typical adolescent. I also had a recurring nightmare that my subconscious couldn’t shake.

In my dream, I was invited to hang out with the popular kids from school. It was always at night. Once I got to my destination – whether the beach, hamburger joint, football game, etc. – the kids would turn a spotlight on me. Evidently, I was the only one aware of the fact that I didn’t have any clothes on. I tried to run but I couldn’t. I was stuck in the spotlight, frozen in shame. Then my peers would mock me and call me names. (Please tell me someone else had those dreams in their early teen years.)

I think that’s a good analogy of how I felt when the Holy Spirit dealt with my love of darkness before I gave my life to Jesus. (Darkness gives reference to my life without God.) When the Truth of God’s Word illuminated my evil deeds, it brought shame and condemnation. That’s probably why I preferred the obscurity of blackness. My evil deeds remained hidden in the darkness.

Initially, I hated the light. (Light gives reference to God’s Truth which exposed my sin.) When the spotlight shone on my sinister ways it immobilized me with shame. Sort of like the “deer in the headlights” scenario.

At that point, I had a choice. Slink back into the darkness or allow the Holy Spirit to continue to shine the Truth of His light on my life leading me from condemnation to guilt to repentance to forgiveness to freedom from shame.

Father, thank You for calling me out of darkness into Your marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9). Thank You that I am no longer under shame and condemnation because I am forgiven in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1). I choose truth and light. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

(For further explanation of my transformed life, click on the page titled, “Salvation.”)

 

http://www.biblehub.com/commentaries/barnes/john/3

http://www.biblehub.com/commentaries/gill/john/3

http://www.biblehub.com/commentaries/pulpit/john/3

 


No comments:

Post a Comment