Tuesday, January 28, 2020

The Wedding Celebration/Part Two


The Wedding Celebration/Part Two
The “Red Letter” Words of Jesus
Day Fifteen

On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding. And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.” Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come.”  John 2:1-4 (NKJV)

This will sound terrible but one of my father’s nicknames (he had several) for my mother was “egghead.” What an insult. Right? Not really. I don’t know how the nickname came about but when he called her egghead, it was used with affection. “Hey, Egghead, let’s go fishing.” “Hey, Egghead, let’s go to Sizzlers.” You get the point. Mom never protested the name.

In today’s scriptures, I suppose Jesus’ reference to Mary as “woman” could be taken in a derogative way. “Hey, woman, fetch my sandals.” It shouldn’t be taken that way. In the culture which He lived the word was used affectionately for a close family member or dear friend. Jesus used the word “woman” in John 19:26 when He passed the responsibility of the care of his mother to John.

I think the word “woman” showed the intimacy between mother and son. Even though Jesus is the Son of God, I like the humanness that His life reflected in these verses. He enjoyed a festive wedding celebration with family and friends. He liked good food and drink. He lovingly related to His mother.

I’m reminded of the scripture, “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet he did not sin.”  (Hebrews 4:15)

He truly does relate to us human beings. He lived life just like we do. Since He does understand, we can’t ask for a better intercessor. He gets us. What a reassuring thought.

I have to admit, I’m thankful the nickname “egghead” never socially caught on. “Woman,” I can live with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment