Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Greater Things


Greater Things
The “Red Letter” Words of Jesus
Day Ten

Nathanael said to Him, “How do you know me?” Jesus answered and said to him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.” Nathanael answered and said to him, “Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!” Jesus answered and said to him, “Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things then these.”  John 1:48-50

I like Nathanael’s response to Jesus’ words “when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.” Jesus had touched a place in Nathanael’s spirit which caused him to proclaim Jesus as Teacher, Son of God, King of Israel. His heart couldn’t contain what he was feeling. I believe Jesus liked his response too.

I’ve heard sermons where Jesus’ words were seen as a rebuke. I don’t agree. Nathanael reacted with sincerity after being impacted by Jesus. I believe Jesus’ response was just as enthusiastic. “Dude, you think this is cool? This is only the beginning. You will know me in an even greater way. You ain’t seen nothing yet.” (Yes, that’s a Lollie paraphrase but you get my point.)

How do you respond to the touch of God on your life? I’m not usually a crier, and yet, tears flow when God is working in my spirit. Sometimes when I get excited about what God is doing, I’ve been known to dance a little jig or two. My favorite though is when a friend of mine couldn’t contain God’s wonderous blessings in her heart. Anne did cartwheels at the back of the church. How cool is that? (Yes, she was wearing slacks.)

Jesus loved Nathanael’s vulnerable response to His “I saw you.” He loves when we respond in fervent sincerity as well. Maybe it’s in making powerful affirmations like Nathanael’s. Or in our tears. Or in silent adoration.  Or in prostrating ourselves on the floor. Or in joyful shouts. One thing’s for sure…I believe it thrills Jesus causing Him to make declarations over our lives.

“You will see greater things than these.”





No comments:

Post a Comment