Saturday, April 25, 2015

What I Learned at the Wordsowers Writing Conference

Workshop #1:
I leaned over so that I could hide behind the lady sitting in front of me. The speaker, Pam Morgan, had direct line of vision to my chair and I didn't want her to see my wet face. Her topic at the Wordsowers Writing Conference was on public speaking. But here she was, talking about seeing two crosses in a window...one was Jesus' cross and one was hers. Her powerful words brought encouragement to my spirit but also unwanted tears to my eyes.

Workshop #2:
I looked down at the crack in the tabletop not wanting to connect with Lee Warren's eyes. His tender story of how his father passed the patriarchal mantle to him caused more tears to flow. I desperately needed a Kleenex. How did Lee's workshop go from learning how to write nonfiction in a fiction style to another meltdown?

I thought this was a writing conference for crying out loud. A place for writers to learn the tricks of the trade. Why all the emotions? What does emotion have to do with any of this?

Evidently, quite a bit.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment