Thursday, March 12, 2015

Whoa or Woe!

James 3:1-12

The whoa:  I love it when God messes with my theology.

I began studying James 3:1-12 for my next blog and then quickly discovered that this portion of scripture may go in a different direction than I anticipated.  If I were to write about these scriptures without studying them, I'd share about the dangers of the tongue.  That we need to be careful with what we say and how we say it because it could destroy someone.  Let's face it, that's a truth I can't argue with because we absolutely must be careful with what we say and how we treat people.

The whoa part has to do with the "we" part.  I never saw it before but there may not be a "we" part unless "we" are teachers.  I never thought to  connect verse one and two with the other 10 verses.  Hmmmm.

The woe:  Right now my presumption (perhaps, temporarily) is that James 3:1-12 is written for spiritual teachers.  The big woe is that in my Bible's footnotes they give Matthew 23 as a reference.  Yikes and woe!

Right now my presumption is that James 3:1-12 is specifically for teachers who need to be aware of the fact that they're responsible for others and that the power of their words can build up or completely destroy.  Verse two reminds them they are fallible beings.

I may throw this theory completely out the window once I begin a more detailed study.  One thing is for sure...I'm going to check out the theory with my friend, Rick.  Rick is like 800% (I almost put 801% but that would have been a hyperbole) smarter in his right big toe than I am in my whole body.  If he says I'm way off base, I'll delete this blog and start over again.  (Hint:  If you don't see this blog in a couple of days, I was way off base.)

Hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment