Saturday, August 17, 2013

What Has 43 3/4 Pages of Scriptural References?

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
James 1:22 (NKJ)
-----------------------------------------------------------

"But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do the things which I say? 
 
Whoever comes to Me and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like:
He is like a an building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock.  And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.
 
But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently, and immediately it fell.  And the ruin of that house was great."
 
Luke 6:46-49  (NKJ)
 
 

In the last devotional, we touched on the importance of not only hearing God's Word but being obedient to do what He says.  According to Jesus' own words, our ability to obey His Words is wrapped up in Lordship.

The word Lord is used numerous times in the Bible.  In fact, the Strong's Concordance Reference Book has 43 3/4 pages of scriptural references listed for the word Lord.  According to Strong's, the Greek word for Lord is kurios; from kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, i.e. (as noun) controller; by impl. Mr. (as a respectful title):- God, Lord, master, Sir.

There's a joke which has been around for years and it goes like this:  A man falls off a cliff and is hanging on for dear life to a branch jutting out of the cliff.  He starts yelling for help as loudly as he can.  Finally he hears a voice, "Let go of the branch, my son, and I will catch you."  The man cries out, "God, is that you?"  In which God replies, "Yes, it is I.  Let go of the branch, my son, and I will catch you."  After hesitating for a moment the man responds, "Uh, is anyone else up there I can talk to?"

About six months ago God sent me on a journey to see who truly had supreme authority and control of my life.  After being with the same pastors for 28 years, He asked me to leave that church and go elsewhere.  In the natural it really didn't make sense because I love my pastors and my church and my friends.  But sometimes it isn't about us; it's about Him and about others.  I wanted to cry out like the man hanging on the branch demanding to talk to someone else up there but eventually I did let go of the branch.  I won't gloss this over one bit...it's been hard.  Even though it hasn't been easy, the Lord did indeed catch me and He is holding me up and each day gets a little better.

One of the main things I've learned about this journey I've been on is that it isn't so much about Lordship as it is about trusting my Lord.  I have relinquished control of my life to my Lord not because He demanded me to but because I can trust Him with my life.  I can trust the One who gave His life for mine; I can trust the One who was willing to ransom me at a great price;  I can trust the One who is motivated by Love.  Proverbs 3:5,6 becomes doable.

You can trust Him as your Lord too even when what He is asking seems beyond what your heart can bear.  As you walk in obedience to His Word, allow yourself to be "founded on the rock."  He will be your Rock and your strength.  Just like Paul you will be able to declare, "...for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day."  2 Tim. 1:12 (NKJ) 


Application of God's Word:

1.  Is Jesus your Savior?  (If not, I encourage you to read the page titled, "Salvation."  It's under construction right now but I'll try and have it completed by next week...hopefully.)  If He is your Savior, is He your Lord?

2.  Read Proverbs 3:5,6.  "One of the main things I've learned about this journey I've been on is that it isn't so much about Lordship as it is about trusting my Lord."  Do you agree or disagree with that statement?  Explain your answer.

3.  Is God asking to be the Lord of your life?  Is He asking you to do something which seems incomprehensible to you?  You can trust His Lordship because it flows out of His love and compassion for you.  Declare 2 Timothy 1:12 over your situation. 


Personal Matters:

About 17 years ago I had a "vision" while praying at the church alter one night.  The vision seemed so real that I was actually soaked in perspiration once it was over.  I was in a throne room and in the middle of this throne room sat, well, what else but a throne of course.  The problem was I was sitting on the throne hanging on tightly to the seat while Jesus was trying to pull me off.  I had a firm grip and there was no way I was going to let go of that seat.  It frustrated me because Jesus wouldn't leave me alone.  He kept tugging and tugging while I went through a lot of emotions from anger to tears to stubbornness to defiance.  This went on for a long time.  Finally Jesus stopped tugging and just stood there looking at me.  He didn't say one word.  He didn't have to say anything.  When I looked into His eyes of compassion it blew me away.  It dawned on me that I could either trust myself which wasn't a good idea since my life was rather screwed up or I could trust a loving Lord who, motivated by Love, was willing to give His life for me.  I began to cry and immediately relinquished the throne to Him.  That night Jesus became my Lord.  I've never regretted that decision to this day even when walking through those difficult times.
 

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment