Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Christians Get Wet Too

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials.
James 1:2  (NKJ)

Several years ago in the bathroom at church a woman was telling me how she had witnessed to a waitress at a local restaurant earlier that morning.  The waitress was a single mother trying to take care of her four young children and make ends meet.  One of the things the Christian woman shared went something like this..."If you give your life to Jesus Christ, all your problems will vanish.  He will take away all the hardships from your life."

Based on what she had been told, if the waitress had given her heart to the Lord, there's a good chance her relationship with Him wouldn't have lasted.  She would have been disillusioned when difficulties came her way.

Some Christians do believe that once they commit their lives to the Lord Jesus Christ, all their troubles will indeed disappear.  However, that's not what God's Word says will happen.  Matthew 5:45 states, "...He makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust."  If you are alive and breathing, there will be seasons of sunshine and, yes, seasons of stormy weather too.

Fortunately, when those stormy trials come your way, you do not have to fear them because you are never alone; the Lord is with you every step of the way.  He promises that "when you pass through the water, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you."  (Isaiah 43:2a)

Even though it's true I will face my fair share of trials by the time I die, it's also true God will be with me every step of the way.  Trial after trial I have experienced His faithfulness and goodness and mercy.  I'm astounded that day after day I am able to get out of bed and face what may come.  It is only by His grace I can crawl back into bed at the end of an eventful day with hope in my heart for what the next day will hold.


Application of God's Word:

1.  What stormy trials are you facing right now?

2.  How can you apply His promises to your situation?

3.  Remember, you are never alone...allow God to be your strength and hope.


Personal Matters:

The Midwest has had a lot of rain lately.  This last Monday (5/27/13) we drove home from northeast Iowa and it was sad how many of the farms were underwater.  Rivers were flowing out of their banks and it looked like the entire state was turning into one big lake.  The "just and the unjust" were saturated in rain water.  I feel like that pretty well describes what has been happening with the Hofer clan over the past several months.  We've faced our fair share of flood waters and then some.  Even though at times we've become weary with all the dog paddling we've had to do, God has sustained us and the trials have not overcome us.  We have sensed the peace of God on our lives even we've had to "walk through the valley of the shadow of death."  I don't dread tomorrow or what it may hold for us because as an old song says, "I know who holds tomorrow and I know He holds my hand."   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment